In a day and age where pressure abounds to be the perfect person, "Stop Trying" is a great read on finding your true identity in Jesus Christ. The author mentions two main worldly ways we can attempt to get an identity:
- Traditional identity - focuses on people pleasing and always meeting other people's expectations.
- Modern identity - we form our own identity based on an exaggerated form of independence while caring little about what others think out us.
Around 230 pages, the book covers many topics, including:
- The positive points and shortcomings of both approaches.
- Various ways the world tries to define us.
- The gospel identity (being the unique person we are as created and loved by Jesus Christ) is the only true and lasting way to get our ultimate identity.
- While we attempt to maintain a perfect and strong image, God is attracted to our weakness and utter reliance on Him for meaning.
- The many ways the gospel identity is far superior to the traditional and modern ways of getting an identity.
- In Jesus, we are free to become the person He wants us to be.
- No matter how well known or obscure we are, we matter to Jesus Christ.
The book is very readable, full of good spiritual and practical insights, and challenges the reader to get their ultimate identity based on who Jesus Christ is and what He did for us on the cross. Very timely read and recommended.
I was given a review copy by Moody Publishers in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.