"What Great Ministry Leaders Get Right" is a great read for servants in the church, regardless of position. Although targeted towards pastors, the principles described apply to anyone serving in the church. Around 300 pages, the title covers many topics on the subject, including:
- Knowing Christ is more important than ministry success.
- The importance of self-care.
- Having a sense of humor and being likeable is valuable in bonding with people (don't take yourself so seriously!).
- Leadership should be used to help other people, not advancing your own agenda or lording it over others.
- The important of rest (everyone needs it!). The church where one of the authors pastor give their full time staff 4 weeks of vacation and insist they take all their vacation days (man, that sounds like a great place to work and minister!).
- 6 keys to effective leadership development.
- The importance of biblical community.
- Ways to enhance your communication skills.
I really enjoyed reading the book - easy to read and understand, realistic, not full of "pious platitudes, good balance of spiritual insights and practical application, and smoothly transitions from topic to topic. Will read again and will be used as a valuable reference. Highly recommended.
I was given a review copy by Moody Publishers in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.